To satisfy Her long-felt profound desire to use Her personal experience in high-level sport and the noble values it conveys, H.S.H. Princess Charlene wished to create the Princess Charlene of Monaco Foundation in the Principality of Monaco.
The Foundation's main vocation is to focus on the practice of Sports, starting with swimming and rugby, as a vector for children's education and development.
In a short film posted on Her Foundation's website, H.S.H. Princess Charlene describes the athletic values She supports and Her Foundation's missions.
From the knowledge that young athletes learn during their youth the values of solidarity, effort, self-giving and humility on which they build their personalities, the Foundation supports children on an international scale, with three main priorities:
1. Setting up educational projects around water safety to give these children confidence on the one hand and to help reduce drowning incidents on the other.
In this spirit, several 'learn to swim' and 'water safety' programmes will very soon be implemented in different countries in the field to fight against this hazard which has far too many victims each year.
2. Supporting young athletes with champion potential but lacking sufficient resources, financial in particular, to succeed in their sports project.
The Foundation aims, for example, to distribute scholarships to a small number of young athletes and monitor them over a number of years in order to enable them to develop their potential.
3. Supporting sports projects involving children's education and assistance to families within their communities.
The projects for 2013 could focus on rugby in particular.
In order to bring these missions to fruition, the Foundation will have the support of Ambassadors, top-level athletes and a team based in the Principality of Monaco.
The Board includes:
- H.S.H. Princess Charlene, President
- H.S.H. Prince Albert II, Vice President
- Mrs Agnès Falco, General Secretary
- Lady Cristina Green, Treasurer
The General Management is under the responsibility of Mr. Jean-Marie Véran.
Mr. Byron Kelleher will be in charge of sports projects linked to rugby.
Fondation Princesse Charlène de Monaco
Les Jardins d'Apolline
1, promenade Honoré II
98001 MONACO Cedex